Breastfeeding may lower risk of hypertension , diabetes and cardiovascular diseases.
Breast milk is nutritious and extremely important for young children’s immune systems. It can reduce ear infections, gastrointestinal illnesses and respiratory infections . Breastfed babies has also shown to lower the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes , etc. The saturated fats in breast milk are essential for building and developing brain. Researchers also believe that breastfeeding can reduce the risk of cot death by up to 50%.
Advantages and Disadvantages of breastfeeding
- You always have food with them. To the right temperature.
- No cost.
- Breastmilk antibodies gives the baby protection against infections such as flu, colds, urinary tract infections ,etc.
- It is also good for the mother, it reduces the risk later in life to suffer from osteoporosis, ovarian cancer and breast cancer before menopause.
- It helps you to lose weight .
- You have to invest in expensive nursing bra. You dont want it to be unsightly.
- You have to remember to have breastfeeding-friendly clothes.
Scientists have discovered that women who breastfeed their children have half the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.Breastfeeding helps to lose the extra belly fat effectively .Breastfeeding also affect your glucose levels and insulin sensitivity.
In animal studies, researchers found that breastfeeding may increase the mother’s response to insulin, which increases the ability to break down glucose more efficiently . Lactation also promotes the growth of certain hormones, which can affect insulin levels and insulin sensitivity.
Breastfeeding uses about 500 extra calories per day which is a great way to lose weight after pregnancy. Research also shows that postmenopausal women with increased duration of breastfeeding showed a lower prevalence of hypertension, diabetes, blood lipids and cardiovascular disease .